Working within the legislative framework and under delegated powers from the Registrar, the Senior Lawyer (FtP) will make decisions on applications for registration, inspection enforcement matters and fitness to practise cases, as well as ensuring the quality of decisions taken by others.
- Provide advice and recommendations on issues and risks arising from specific applications and cases, but also on issues and risks arising from any systemic weaknesses within the organisation in meeting its overarching objective.
- Maintain oversight of the progress of complex fitness to practise cases to ensure the timely progressions and proportionate resolution of cases. Provide expert advice, quality assurance and coaching to colleagues to make sure that matters are progressed to achieve a proportionate, fair and timely resolution.
- Supervise the development of other staff, Lawyers and advocates.
- Work with the Head of Initial Assessment and the Head of Professionals Regulation (Fitness to Practise) to develop and oversee the delivery of casework and quality assurance mechanisms.
- Review all fitness to practise outcomes with senior colleagues to identify learning and development points.
- Prepare and provide training to fitness to practise and wider organisational colleagues and committee members.
- Advise on, initiate and draft policy and guidance to make sure that the organisation discharges it public law obligations in exercising its regulatory functions.
- Undertake High Court Appeal and Judicial Review cases as appropriate and contribute to PSA performance review reports, audits, learning outcome letters and other requests as needed.
Knowledge and skills for the job
- Solicitor or Barrister with substantial experience of professional regulation
- Significant experience of managing investigations and presenting cases with agreed quality, timeliness and cost objectives in a regulatory or similar setting
- Experience of developing and delivering policies and processes for disposal of cases with pragmatic solutions and according to risk-based criteria.
Contact Niraj Thakkar at either email@example.com or to discuss your suitability.
For more legal and governance roles within central government, view our latest jobs.