My local authority client is seeking a Group Accountant to Provide a high quality service to officers across the council.
As my local authority client embark on an exciting journey of change and transformation following the recently appointed Directors, they seek a Group Accountant to Provide a high quality service to officers across the council. The role will support the Chief Accountant on the closure and production of the council’s statutory Statement of Accounts and Annual Budget, manage the financial reporting of the council’s capital programme and fixed assets, manage the insurance arrangements and VAT accounting for the council.
Detailed duties will include:
- Supervise and review all capital monitoring information, including writing of Capital Strategy and the capital monitoring section of the quarterly Budget and Performance report and to report on the month end position to the Chief Accountant.
- Lead with the Chief Accountant on the closure of the final accounts and production of the Statement of Accounts ensuring compliance with all relevant Accounting Standards. Interpret new and/or amended Accounting Standards and update the Accounting Policies as necessary
- Manage the provision of effective Capital and Asset Management accounting and monitoring arrangements. Ensure that proper accounting arrangements have been made for the recording and reporting of Fixed Assets.
- Liaise with the council’s external Valuers and Property and Estates to independently check and ensure all asset valuations are performed in line with Accountancy Standards, legislation and relevant codes of practice
- Lead and co-ordinate the parish precept information from the Parish Councils including writing of the Council Tax report.
- Lead on insurance management ensuring that adequate insurance cover and claims management arrangements are in place.
- Manage the VAT partial exemption calculation exercise, the review and submission of VAT returns.
In order to be successful in the role, we are looking for relevant local authority experience gained in a similar role, with a particular emphasis on capital accounting. Ideally you will be qualified however we are open as to qualification status and welcome applications from those who are not formally qualified.
The role is very flexible and only requires an office presence 1 day per week, per month or 2 – 3 times per quarter.
Excellent benefits include 29 days holiday, Local Government Pension Scheme, family friendly policies, subsidised leisure membership.
Contact Sian Negal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07921 336 641 to discuss your suitability.
If you’re interested in more finance roles within local government, view our latest jobs.